Thursday, November 20, 2008

My first CEiMB Post!!!

Thanks to Lonely Sidecar for picking Oven-Fried Chicken this week! I must say, I was very skeptical about "fried chicken" in the oven. Afterall, I am a true southern gal and the only fried chicken I know is soaked in buttermilk, floured and spiced and then DEEP FRIED! Healthy, no - tasty - you betcha! But, I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the finished product. Even the peanut gallery (the cats) were licking their chops after a bite of the moist and delicious chicken (hopefully the cayenne didn't give them too much heartburn!)



Well I am all about easy when it comes to cooking so I skipped getting out the food chopper to chop the crackers and cereal. Instead, I just loaded up a ziplock bag and went to town getting out some frustration. The chucky mix of crackers and cereal made for a nice cruchy coating on the chicken. I included the garlic, seasame seeds and cayenne in the breading. However, I emptied the jar of cayenne pepper, but there still wasn't as much as the recipe called for (as if I was measuring anyways!!!) On that note - I must say it took me about 10 years to get through an entire jar of cayenne pepper!!!



On to the wet ingredients - I only used one egg white since I was only making two pieces of chicken and I used coarse ground dijon mustard. I butterflied the chicken breast and then they went for a swim in the wet ingridients.



Well against my better judgment, I thought a salad plate would be appropriate for breading the chicken. Boy was I wrong! A broiler pan would have been much more appropriate given the mess I made trying to get the chicken coated. I'm sure the cats will be eating corn flakes/ crackers off the floor for days!



I baked the chicken on a cookie sheet and thought it came out great! I probably overcooked the chicken a bit - I got a little sidetracked watching the Biggest Loser on dvr!!! Is it just me or is anyone else shocked that Amy voted Colleen off instead of Vicki????? Big mistake on Amy's part!





But thats neither here nor there!



Thanks Lonely Sidecar for picking a great recipe. I guess fried chicken can come out of the oven! I will definitely be making this recipe again.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing off your cayenne! Ten years, that's not bad! I'm glad you liked the chicken -- I feel like if it passes muster with a true Southern girl, then it's got to be good. I'll be the first to warn you about the dangers of multitasking while cooking (although The Biggest Loser is a worthwhile diversion!) Glad you liked the chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great blog Jen! I'm glad you liked the chicken. I LOVED it. So crunchy and good. Welcome to the food blogging world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought my first little cayenne pepper bottle for this recipe. I wonder how long it will take me? esp since my hubs is NOT a spicy-hot food person. HAHA. Glad you enjoyed the recipe!
    Clara @ iheartfood4thought

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm so happy you liked it. It's funny - my dog's head was covered in crumbs from the coating as well. And no, this has nothing on buttermilk coated chicken, but our arteries are thanking us for it, no?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job and welcome to the group! You know this chicken can't be half bad if it gets the approval of a southern gal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to CEiMB!!! Glad you liked the chicken!! I absolutely loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your picture of Coleen and Vicki! I was so hoping that Vicki would get the boot. Not Coleen... What was Amy thinking? Glad that you joined CEiMB!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We really enjoyed this chicken as well! It was such a super choice!

    Gorgeous kitties!!

    ReplyDelete